The Morning Dump is a daily post compiling a list of links and commentary of various Big East topics.
Countdown to the first games of the college basketball season: 9 days
- Butler toppled Nova Southeastern 101-64 at Hinkle Fieldhouse last night in the Bulldog’s first of two exhibition games to be played before the games actually count. Sophomore Kellen Dunham led the team with 16 points, while three others also reached double digits. The main story, however, was that Brandon Miller was leading the squad on the sideline and not Brad Stevens, which will likely be the attention getter for most of the season.
- DePaul squeaked by Lewis in their exhibition opener to the tune of 84-79. It’s just an exhibition game, but it still seems like that margin of victory is a bit too close. DePaul NEEDS to get better defensively this year if they are to rise out of the basement in the Big East.
- A video of Rysheed Jordan throwing down a pretty vicious dunk in the dunk contest portion of Midnight Madness last weekend has surfaced. He jumps over a (albeit) ducking God’sgift Achiuwa and puts it down with authority. Not bad for a point guard.
- Marquette came in at #17 in ESPN’s preseason power rankings. Andy Katz and Jeff Goodman preview the Golden Eagles in a two minute video on the site.
- Creighton landed at #20 in those same power rankings and to go along with a video previewing the Bluejays, Myron Medcalf wrote up a piece profiling the final season of the father son duo of Greg and Doug McDermott.
- Here’s a scary hypothetical for you: There are those out there that believe Buzz Williams will eventually take over the Texas program, and it can be as soon as next year.
- Providence landed 4-star prospect Ryan Fazekas on Tuesday morning. Fazekas is a 6-foot-7 small forward from Indiana and coach Ed Cooley’s first recruit in the class of 2015.