The Morning Dump is a daily post compiling a list of links and commentary of various Big East topics.
Countdown to the first games of the college basketball season: 22 days
- Big East Media Day took place yesterday in New York City. And while it’s an exciting day seeing and hearing from the players and coaches, it reminds you that what you really desire is actual gameplay. This blog posted the results of the Coaches’ Preseason Poll and Player Awards yesterday afternoon when they were released, and for a link to the video of all the interviews click here.
- There are a plethora of blogs around the internet that broke down Media Day – either in general or for their specific team – and, of course, ESPN also covered the event with video recapping the day.
- There was a Josh Smith update yesterday from John Thompson III: Georgetown still doesn’t know when he will be ruled eligible. It is expected, at the very latest, that he will be eligible starting the second semester, which is the start of conference play.
- Providence’s talented freshman, Brandon Austin, (my pick for Big East Preseason Rookie of the Year), suffered a concussion at practice earlier this week and could be out for a week or so said coach Ed Cooley yesterday at Media Day.
- Gary Parrish, college basketball insider for CBS Sports, compiled a list of the 30 best guards in the country. Three Big East players – Semaj Christon, Bryce Cotton and Markel Starks – made the list of 30.
- And collegebasketballtalk.com posted a list of the most impactful freshman for the upcoming season. Rysheed Jordan from St. John’s and Billy Garrett Jr. from DePaul made the secondary list of ‘other impact freshman’.