Doug McDermott, a junior and first team All-American this year at Creighton, is on the fence about exiting the college game a year early for the NBA.
Well actually, his dad and coach, Greg McDermott, is the one reporting that Doug is nowhere near close to making a decision about his future.
McDermott, 6-foot-8 and 225 pounds, has been one of the most lethal scorers in the game over the past two years. He averaged 23.2 points per game last year and 22.9 the year before.
Money is the obvious factor for any player contemplating this decision and it comes down to ‘what do you have to gain by prolonging your college career’?
In my opinion, barring injury, I don’t believe Doug has anything to lose. I believe he has established himself as a proven elite scorer against various forms of competition.
But he may see the move to the Big East, a seemingly more competitive conference compared to the Missouri Valley Conference, as one that can only hurt him. With the improved competition does he think he will regress? Or will his lack of defensive skills be exposed even greater?
But he can look at it another way and want to return for his senior year to prove his dominance and rule the newly formed conference. He could view the improved competition on a nightly basis as a means to elevate his draft stock, which is currently projected as a mid-second rounder. And setting the bar in the ‘new’ Big East and competing for a league title with his dad could entice him to return.
Or, he may opt to return just because he loves college. And who doesn’t love college and want to extend it for as long as possible? I guess anyone that could leave early and make millions would view that question differently.
Personally, I would like to see McDermott return for his last year at Creighton because I’m selfish and want to follow and cover him on this blog for a season in the Big East. And I’m sure Creighton fans would like to be headed into a new conference with confidence.
What do you think he does? And what do you think he should do?
April 28th is the deadline to declare for the NBA draft and all reports suggest he may take up to that day to make his decision. Until then, we wait.